Your clients may be referred to our hospital by several different methods:
- Many area hospitals utilize an after-hours telephone message machine or answering service and provide clients with our telephone number for after-hours care. Other hospitals use a service that automatically transfers their after-hours calls to our telephone number. Our staff is happy to answer any questions your clients may have at times when you are unavailable. Staff members of PETS Referral Center have been trained to provide courteous, safe, honest, and medically accurate information.
- Your hospital may wish to display a small sign, which we provide at no cost, on your front door advising clients arriving after hours of the location and telephone number of our hospital. This has proven to be greatly appreciated by distressed clients who would otherwise have been uncertain about where to seek immediate assistance for their pet.
As a member or our referring veterinary family, you may elect to refer a patient to our emergency service for any of the following reasons:
- A client has an emergency with their pet outside of your regular office hours.
- A patient requires an examination or surgical procedure at a time that is impractical or inconvenient for you and your staff; for instance, a client seeks immediate care yet your schedule is already full. By referring these cases to our hospital you can rest assured that the patient will be well cared for and that the client will remain your client for future care.
- You feel a patient requires intensive care or monitoring, including 24-hour case supervision.
- A patient requires advanced life-support equipment such as continuous oxygen administration, ventilation, or blood pressure monitoring.
- A patient requires or may require administration of blood products or constant rate infusion drug therapy.
- You would like to have an advanced diagnostic procedure such as Doppler color flow ultrasound, video endoscopy, bone marrow biopsy, etc. performed by a specialist as soon as possible.
- You would like to refer a client for evaluation or possible emergency surgery by our board-certified surgical specialist.
- A client prefers that his or her pet receive overnight post-surgical or post-anesthesia monitoring and supervision of potential or realized complications and/or pain management.
- A patient is recovering from surgery or anesthesia and you recommend overnight monitoring for patient safety.
If you have time and wish to refer a case, please complete one of our “Direct Referral Forms,” which can then be faxed in advance or sent with the client. Providing us with your medical record (including pertinent history, exam findings, and initial therapy), laboratory results, and radiographs for any transfer patient will greatly improve our ability to provide coordinated care. Additionally, feel free to share any suggestions you have regarding our ongoing management of the case.